Thursday, November 10, 2005

By Request

By request from Grandma B, here's an update on Sydney's introduction to food.

Sydney gets some solid food in the morning with her first meal. She gets some solid food in the afternoon with her last feeding.

Sydney has taken to it very well. She seems a little hesitant at first. The first spoonful is tough to get her to open up for. After that, though, she takes it easier and with some enthusiasm.

This week we started her with fruits, too. I do a fruit for her in the morning and then Anne does a vegetable in the afternoon. Most feedings so far are composed of the food mixed with rice cereal. Some of the foods have been a little strong tasting, we thought, and Sydney didn't seem to know what to think of the strong flavor. So the rice cereal is mixed in to help soften the flavor.

On Wednesday morning she got bananas with cereal. Almost every spoonful I gave her she would reach out with her left hand and grab the spoon stem to help put it in her mouth. It was tough to get her to let go of it so I could get more food. Sometimes she would try to put the spoon back in her mouth again before I could get it out of her hand.

(She grabs it with her left hand because I'm feeding her holding the spoon in my right hand. When I tried it with my left hand she grabbed it with her right hand. But since I'm not very good with my left hand and she's not coordinated with either hand, that spoonful was a little messier than the others. The rest were done with my right hand.)

When she's close to finished eating she will stare off at nothing. She doesn't pay attention and it gets harder to get her to open her mouth to eat. When she starts doing this we can usually get her to take a couple more spoonfuls before she clams up completely and doesn't want anymore.

This morning Sydney got applesauce for breakfast. And she got it straight without rice cereal. She really enjoyed it. She eagerly ate almost every spoonful offered to her (though she didn't try to grab the spoon very much today).

Toward the end of the bowl she started her stare off thing. I held the spoon close to her mouth and called her name to get her attention. Suddenly, Jaws attacked. Sydney opened her mouth and jerked her head forward, getting the spoon cleanly in her mouth. When I pulled the spoon out she smiled her big, toothy (and applesaucey) smile at me. We'll have to wait and see if she's invented a new game.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Thanks! That was a great report and a fun read. I read it three times, but then I'm the Grandma.

Give her a kiss from me.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home