Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Camera

First things first. And one of the very rare times when that isn't Sydney.

This is really cool. Someone built a HUGE aircraft carrier out of Legos. Unfortunately there is no information as of this writing on the web site showing the pictures. The webmaster does have a request for any information, though, especially from the builder. (Edit: They posted info while I was writing. Plus a link to more pictures.)

This thing looks like it's pretty much got an entire room of this house dedicated to it. It looks to be to scale, too. At least, to the scale of the little Lego dudes.

In other news, the following picture marks a special occasion: This picture is quite possibly the last picture of Sydney I will be taking

Sydney and Mommy on the Bed

with my old Vivitar digital camera. The other day I bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I've been wanting to upgrade for some time. The Vivitar isn't the best camera. (Only about one out of every three pictures seems to come out decently - not blurred or not too dark, that is.)

I have also been wanting to learn more about photography and be able to take better pictures. And now I have a camera that will allow me to do that.

Luckily for me it has a fully automatic mode. I can turn it on, point and click to take a picture. In fact, here's the first picture I took with it.

Sydney on the Bed 1

The eight megapixels is way too much for everyday pictures. It will be nice for when I want a really nice picture, though. It can be reproduced into larger prints easily and without distortion. Yay!

For now, though, eight megapixels for a picture is way too much. The smallest setting for the camera is 1728 x 1152. The Vivitar had its largest setting (which was my default) at 1280 x 960. I'll keep the Canon set on the smallest setting for regular use.

The few pictures I took of Sydney on the bed (see Picture Trail) were done at eight megapixels. I hadn't done anything except charge the battery, put it in, put the memory card in and snap away. I had barely read any of the instructions yet, so I definitely hadn't changed the picture size.

This evening I cropped the pictures I took. I then resized them. The before sizes were still about 50% again bigger than the 1728 x 1152 I resized them to. Holy cow!

Speaking of picture size, I'm going to have to take some pictures off Picture Trail pretty soon. For the amount I pay I am close to my limit. In fact, I had to delete some pictures tonight to be able to upload the new pictures. (The deleted ones weren't Sydney pictures.)

After Sydney turns one I will back up her first year pictures to disk from my hard drive. I will then selectively delete pictures from Picture Trail (starting with the oldest) to make more room. Most of my personal favorites will stay on Picture Trail, but I'll have to get rid of many to make room for the future. Hard decisions are ahead.

Anyway, consider this fair warning. If there are any pictures you want save them now or order the prints. Or just let me know and I can email you the full version. (And for those of you that have a Costco near you and have a membership, you can upload pictures to their website and then order prints. Picture Trail is nice, but I can pick up prints in an hour at Costco instead of waiting to have them mailed to me. Plus no postage and the prints are a little cheaper, too.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home