Thursday, February 16, 2006

Roll-bile Baby

Practice has paid off. Sydney is now mobile.

Sometime in the last week Sydney has gotten used to the idea that rolling from her back to her stomach is all right. She did it sporadically and when she felt like it (of course). But in the last two days she has been doing it very regularly. And she will also roll either way instead of just to her right.

This morning (Tuesday) when I went to get her when she woke up from her nap she had rolled over onto her stomach. (Probably to avoid laying in the really poopy diaper she was currently wearing, but that's beside the point.)

A little while later she was playing on the floor of our room while I folded her laundry on the bed. She threw one of her toys about five feet away. I told her she would have to get it herself if she wanted it. Over the next several minutes she rolled over to it. (Sort of. Her aim is a little off and her path curves a bit. But she was close and I nudged the toy a couple inches toward her so she could grab it.)

I put her back sitting up in her play area. I didn't make her get back herself.

Later when I was at work Anne called to tell me that Sydney had spent approximately the last half hour rolling back and forth across the bedroom floor. (There was other stuff she told me, too, but that was the most important part.)

So she's definitely gotten the hang of it.

She's still not crawling yet, but she is starting to rock a little bit when we have her up on her hands and knees.

She also can't sit up all the way on her own. If she's propped up a little bit she can sit up, but if she's flat on her back she can't get to a sitting position. She does try, though, so it's only a matter of time before she gets those muscles strong enough to do it.

New teeth still haven't come in yet. Her gums are a little bumpy, though, so we can tell they're on the way. They just haven't gotten close enough to break through yet. It seems to be taking a long time. (Luckily she doesn't get really upset from it very often.)

Let me know if there are any important matters I need to give updates on. Usually I have things I think about and then can't remember once I get home and actually get a chance to post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This past weekend in Sonoma, California, we attended the 60th, yes 60th, wedding anniversary of Chad's cousin. While there, some of the many celebrating relatives talked about babies. We learned that Chad's nephew's son never crawled, he rolled across the room for anything he wanted.

The son of a friend of mine did not crawl in the traditional manner. He got up on his hands and feet and moved around with his bottom in the air.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home