Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Sunday Brunch...Not!

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

1) Are you an organized person?
2) What is one thing about your home that has to be just so or it drives you crazy when it comes to organization?
3) Do you have one little nuance about your organization that most people consider to be a little over the top? What is it?
4) What is your favorite organizational tool? (bins, closet organizers, etcetera)
5) What is your favorite place to buy organizational needs?

I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to update in a while. Sorry about that. I also haven't felt compelled to write since Sunday Brunch did nothing for me this week. But since it's up I'll answer the questions with this statement:

No, I am generally not very organized - in a neat and tidy kind of way. I am anal retentive enough that I organize things, but my mode of operation when it comes to organizing is clutter. I'm not anal retentive enough (in that regard) that my organization has to be neat and tidy. Things are cluttered. I know where I need to look to find what I want at a given moment, usually, but my personal areas are generally not very organized.

So, now on to other things.

Monday, June 13 was Anne's first day back to work. It was hard on her. She said she didn't cry, which I was proud of her for. But it also surprised me and I certainly wouldn't have thought any less of her if she had cried.

We had a discussion back when she was still pregnant about what we were going to do when she went back to work. Neither of us was crazy about the idea of using outside childcare. My work hours were not conducive to working around her schedule. Having only one income wasn't an option (especially since she makes more than me) whichever of us would stay home.

That left pretty much one option. I needed a new job with better hours. Ideally something in the evenings with weekends off. This way I could be home with Sydney in the morning, leave for work when Anne got home at noon, and we would have family time together on the weekends.

I talked to my boss about it. I wanted to be open and honest with him. I would prefer to stay at the Resort since I've been there for five years, but Anne and I knew the chance of getting a job with the preferred hours and schedule in the hospitality industry was slim.

My boss surprised me, but not by his reaction. He was very supportive of what I was looking to do and respected our decision about it. I knew he would. He considers me a very valuable member of his management team and doesn't want to lose me. But at the same time he offered to help me in whatever way he could to find me a job that was suited to what I needed.

He went out of his way to help find something for me at the resort that would be what I was looking for. This is what surprised me, though in all honesty it shouldn't have.

I used to be the manager of the Bell, Valet and Transportation departments at the resort. A young man was a manager of Communications (operators) and helped my (our) boss out in our Special Promotions (Telemarketing) department running payroll and various reports. He was ready to move and get more experience. I was ready to move and take less responsibility.

My boss offered this switch to me. He offered to let me make the changes I needed to the job so I could work the scheduled I needed and wanted to work (as long as the base responsibilities are taken care of). I would still be a manager and still cover some Manager on Duty shifts a few nights a week.

I gladly accepted it. It was a slight decrease in pay, but nothing that Anne and I weren't expecting to have happen when I started looking for another job. I am very happy to still be with the Resort. I've been in the new position a little over a month.

So now I am home with Sydney in the morning. I don't get much sleep, but I get enough. I am happy to be able to spend the time with her and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In other Sydney news there isn't too much to tell. She isn't rolling over on her own yet. We will turn her on her stomach occasionally so she can get used to it. She's smiling more regularly. Her "talking" hasn't developed into the nice, soft baby coos yet. It's still rather guttural coughs, barks and grunts.

She is getting a little better with her hand coordination, but still doesn't have great control. She grabs things when her hands move over them. Occasionally she will reach for something (read: her bottle) to pull it toward her, but doesn't really grab it. It's more like she swings her arms out at it in an awkward bear hug kind of way. Sometimes she's lucky enough to actually knock it/pull it to where she wants it.

Now that warmer weather is upon us she's wearing more summer outfits. The little jumpers that leave her legs bare really seem to accentuate how long her legs are. She's at least 24 inches long now (she doesn't go back to the doctor, so won't have an official measuring, until August for her four month). She still can't hold her head up on her own consistently. Her infant car seat is only made for babies up to 26 inches. I'm hoping these last two inches go slowly so her development catches up to it. Otherwise we have no idea what we'll do if she outgrows the infant seat before she's developed enough for a child seat.

(Any suggestions out there from other moms?)

I think that's all for now, though I'm sure the grandmothers and other relatives have questions. Ask them and I'll share with you as best I can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

I've seen very "professional" women come back to work after maternity leave with tears rolling down their cheeks.

I'm sure the fact Dad is home with Sydney helped Anne greatly. You are both great parents and this grandma is ever so thankful I don't have to think about my precious granddaughter in daycare.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home