Sunday, May 22, 2005

Sunday Brunch - Wintertime

"Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so string in me." -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

1) Do you line in a place where it snows often? Describe your typical winter and how often it snows/ices/sleets.

I haven't lived here long enough (five years) to know what a "typical winter" is. This year was really bizarre. We had snow in the early part of the winter, but almost none after the first of the year. By Fenruary we were enjoying 50- to 60-degree weather (Fahrenheit) and no snow. Then it snowed a bit in March (and promptly melted), was cold, then rainy in April and so far in May.

Unfortunately we had very little snow pack in the mountains, so we have high chances of drought and fire hazard this summer. We have had a lot of rain recently, so that should help hold it off some.

The last two years before that there was sporadic snow throughout the winter, though not much. The snow pack in the mountains was good, though. It made for good skiing (apparently - I don't ski) and allowed good run off in the spring.

The two winters before that didn't have much snow, but enough. Snow stayed around as ground cover most of the winter each year and snow pack in the mountains was good. These first two years we were here is what "typical" is supposedly like around here. but when you haven't had it in three years it seems to me that the definition of "typical" may shift.


2) Have you ever been snow skiing? Where have you gone?

No.


3) What is your favorite part of winter?

The end.


4) If you had a choice, would you move somewhere where there was a hard winter?

I grew up in Michigan where there are hard winters. I walked to school everyday. (Though not twenty miles and not uphill both ways.) I have had my share of hard winters.

We left Las Vegas partly because we wanted to be somewhere where there were seasons. But that didn't necessarily mean somewhere where there were hard seasons.

So, in short, no.


5) What is your favorite winter activity or sport?

Looking out the window and hoping that the snow stops and the roads get cleared before I have to go somewhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John -- I just looked at the new pictures of Sydney (I have a two-week old new neighbor named Sydney Rose, BTW). How adorable!!

And, ALL of the Murvosh women I have seen photos of are just beautiful!!

Love, Aunt Carrie

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home