Thursday, June 02, 2005

Baby News and Books

Today was Sydney's two-month check up. I didn't go, but she had a very good appointment from what I hear.

Sydney currently weighs in at twelve pounds even and she's 23 3/4 inches long. Wow!

In other news, here is a meme about Books I've been tagged with. Actually, I volunteered to do it. My mother got it from her mother (my grandmother). My mother didn't want to "force" anyone into doing it by tagging them unwillingly so I volunteered. A good post for the blog is always a good thing.

I will not be as nice as my mother was. I will be tagging my friend "noodlebugs" (yes, you, Beth) to answer these questions next.

1. The total number of books in your house.

Well, I'm sitting in a room that has 300 books in it, easily. Probably closer to 400. There's a large bookshelf downstairs full of books and a few more in our bedroom. We easily have 600 books in the house. And that's not even counting the childrens' books in Sydney's room waiting to be read to her.

2. Last book bought.

The last book I bought was Douglas Adams' The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I was a little disappointed in the movie and wanted to reread the books. Unfortunately, my copies ended up getting lost in a move or never returned from a friend who lost them in a move. I'm not sure which. But I now have them all bundled into one.

3. Last book read.

Well I'm currently reading the above mentioned last bought book. Technically, I've finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and am currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Since those books are all bundled together they may not count. If not then the last book I read was Michael Crichton's The Lost World. I finished Jurassic Park in the hospital when Sydney was born and started The Lost World, only to finish it after we were back home.

4. Five or six books you often reread or that mean a lot to you.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Grandma made me a fan when I was about twelve and I reread them every two years or so.

The Hobbit. Same as above.

The Silmarillion. The beginning and history of Middle-Earth. I never read it until about eight years ago. It is very involved. There is a lot going on and many, many, many names to try and grasp. The first time I finished it I immediately read it again and loved it just as much as the first time. I have read it two or three times again since then.

The Chronicles of Narnia. I remember having The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe read to us as a class story in first or second grade and loving it. When I was ten or eleven I discovered one of the books at my father's house amongst the collection of books he had stored and tucked away all over the house. Remembering the first one I hunted down all seven throughout his house and read them that summer. I'm not sure how many times I've read them. I don't remember the last time I read them before a couple months ago when I read the collection I got for Christmas a year and a half ago.

Calvin and Hobbes. It was a sad, sad day when Bill Watterson stopped drawing Calvin and Hobbes in the comics. Every year or so I'll pull out all my Calvin and Hobbes books and reread those comics. They still make me laugh as hard now as they did when I first read them. I will be purchasing The Complete Calvin and Hobbes when it comes out in October.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

How cool that we both have C.S. Lewis on our lists.

Thanks for letting me tag you.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home