Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Tooth of the Matter

As you may have been able to deduce from the title of this post, big baby news is about to be revealed.

Yes, that's right. Right here before your very eyes.

Are you ready for it?

Sydney has found her feet!

She hasn't really discovered discovered them yet, but she knows they're there. She will frequently grab them, but she has yet to get really fascinated by them and, I think, realize they are a part of her. She has yet to stick one in her mouth.

The first discovery of the foot actually happened while Grandma B and Cousin Kimmy were visiting. Sydney was sitting on Mommy's lap. She reached down and grabbed her foot and held on. This has been repeated regularly - while on a lap or on her back.

Oh, yeah. Sydney has also gotten her first tooth. It's front, bottom. It came in with little fuss.

Grandma M was the first to really notice it. She kept saying that Sydney was acting like she was teething because she drooled a lot and constantly had her hands in her mouth. Anne and I, though, actually seemed to believe the nurse practitioner from Sydney's four-month check up. I think partly because Sydney wasn't crying and fussing like you normally hear about teething babies doing.

On Wednesday I came downstairs after getting ready for work. Grandma M said that when Anne gets home from work she and I should take a good look at Sydney's mouth. She said if a tooth wasn't coming in then she had a deformed jaw.

Sure enough, there was a bit of tooth poking through.

Today, unfortunately, Sydney didn't have a good day. She was a little fussier than normal this morning. Nothing too bad, but still a lot fussier than she normally is. (And since she's hardly ever fussy that's still not a very fussy baby.)

Tonight, however, I guess things got really bad. Nothing seemed to be able to console Sydney. Anne finally passed her off to Grandma M. Anne was tired and had to go to bed so she could get some sleep for work. Grandma M tried a little bit of everything, but Sydney seemed inconsolable.

Grandma M says she finally had a big poop that seemed to settle her a little bit. It's possible that an upset stomach was the cause of her suffering, but I have a feeling if it was involved it was only part of it. Grandma M seems to agree. Since Anne is currently asleep, she neither agrees nor disagrees.

I got home from work about 9:45 pm tonight. Grandma M had just gotten Sydney to sleep and up to bed a few minutes before I pulled in. That's around two and a half hours after her normal bedtime. The poor thing did not have a good day.

If Sydney is cutting another tooth she's definitely not having as easy a time with this one as she did with the first one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Poor Sydney and lucky Grandma M to get to do the consoling.

When the fussiness calms down and you get caught up on your sleep, Grandma B wants to see a picture of the tooth.

I thought the top ones looked like they might come in first. WIth my stale baby skills, I predict they are coming soon. So many teeth at once, it's no wonder the sweet Sydeny is a little fussy.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief! He used my comment about a deformed jaw! She is such a beautiful baby. I don't know if that comment should go down in Sydney's history. When she's older, she'll have doubts about her Grandma Deb's sanity.

I think Grandma B may be right about Sydneys upper teeth, but I am sorely out of practice, too.

I did remember that chewing and drizzling are indicative of teething, but my eldest did that for about eight months. I did not expect to be proven right and so quickly.

One day I called myself "Grandma Deb" and it sounded OK. I expect Sydney will decide whether it is to be that or "Grandma M" or something else. My grandmother was "Danny."

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home