Thursday, December 21, 2006

Untitled Update

I figured I would post an update before Christmas. Sydney has been doing a lot of cute things lately and I thought I'd share. In fact, my friend Beth made a blog post the other day about some things two of her children are doing and I laughed because they are so similar to what Sydney is doing. In fact, Beth's daughter is about a month older than Sydney. Her son she wrote about is, I think, five. I'm not sure. (Sorry, Beth.)

Sydney has always been a little apprehensive about the telephone. She never really liked it, probably because of the strange voices coming out of it when it was held up to her ear. But that's just a guess.

She generally has the run of our bedroom and bathroom while I'm getting ready for work. There's not an easy way to keep her contained in a smaller area. And she's only taking one nap per day now and that's usually shortly after I leave for work.

She likes to get into drawers, but she's very good about boundaries. She may cross them sometimes, but not often and more out of curiosity than any malicious intent.

The other day she opened the drawer of my nightstand while I was in the shower. There's not much exciting in there, so there was no harm done. I keep some dress socks in there that I don't wear anymore. (They matched suits that I don't wear and am pretty sure I wouldn't fit in anymore.) She likes playing with socks so she had some of those pulled out and on the floor.

She also found a little massager that was in the drawer. It's about 3-4 inches long and about as big around as a quarter. It's just about big enough to put a AA battery in and have the massage portion at the end. It's for spot massaging a tight muscle. I got a=it as a gift a few years ago.

Anyway, she was carrying that around with her when I got out of the shower. Every once in a while she would hold it up to her ear and babble. Like she was on the phone. When I asked her what she had she said, "call," and reached it out to me. When I asked if the call was for me and reached for it she pulled it back and "talked" on it again.

She did this for a couple days running. Then on Wednesday I got out of the shower and there was no sign she had been in the drawer. I asked her is she had a call and got a "no!" When I finished getting ready for work I asked if she was ready to go downstairs.

Sydney suddenly got a look of realization on her face and said, "call." She hustled over to the nightstand and took her "phone" out. She held it to her ear and babbled for about five seconds. She then put it back, closed the drawer and came over to me, ready to go downstairs.

Sydney also has a drawer in the bathroom she gets to play in. It's the middle drawer and it's just at the right height for her to open and be able to look in and reach in. It's where Mommy keeps her brush and all of her scrunchies, barrettes, and whatnot for her hair. Sydney likes to play with these and usually puts them back when she done.

Sydney's hair is getting long enough now that we can put a clip in the top of it and give her a ponytail off the top of her head. She likes to pull out a particular clip and hand it to us so we can do that. (It's just a long silver clip, but one of the few in the drawer that can hold the wispy, thin hair she has.)

When I'm getting dressed Sydney likes to be put up on our bed. She's obviously mobile enough now that we don't let her up there if we're not available for immediate supervision and help getting down. But she enjoys being there and has a little game she plays with me.

I sit on the end of the bed to put my socks on and to button up my shirt. Sydney will come over to me and reach out. She puts her hand on my shoulder or my stomach/side (sometimes, though rarely, on my cheek) and gives a gentle push. I fall backward with an exclamation. Sydney then gets upright on her knees, makes a similar exclamation and falls over backward. I then reach over and tickle her and sit up. She repeats the same thing again.

Sometimes she doesn't think about it while I'm sitting there. On those days I'll usually say something along the lines of, "I sure do hope I don't get pushed over while I'm trying to button my shirt/put my socks on." She then giggles and commences the game.

Sydney likes to color. She likes to scribble with her crayons on just about any paper we put in front of her.

Sometimes, though, we have to use the computer when Sydney is around. There aren't any crayons in the office and not a whole lot for her to play with. During those times she will walk over to the desk and grab one of the pens we have sitting here. She will then scribble on just about any piece of paper she can get her hands on.

The crayons she is very good about. For the most part they stay at her little table we have set up. She rarely ever tries to take them away from there (anymore). The pens, though, are a different matter. Once she has one she doesn't like to give it up. (Well, she will if she wants to. She'll bring a pen over to the desk and trade it for another one.) She frequently tries to take the pen with her when we're done in the office despite being told they don't leave the office. She will sometimes head into the office when we come upstairs just to grab a pen she can play with while upstairs.

Sydney has at least one of her final two teeth coming in. One of her top back molars is coming through. Anne couldn't get a good look at the other side tonight to see about that one.

It snowed Wednesday night. When Sydney woke up this morning and we walked into the hall she saw the snow out the window above the stairs.

"Snow. Like snow!" Direct quote. (Though I suppose the "like" could have been meant to be a "look.")

Update next week with a report on Christmas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, 5, you got it right.

You'll be happy someday you did these little milestone updates. My family is not privy to my diary, it's just so that someday *I* can go back and relive it all.

It would be nice to hear about you guys sometimes though!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home