Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Love You, Aunt Carrie

First things first. Picture!

Sydney Wears Daddys Hat

As I've written before, Sydney likes to take my hat when I wear one. Sometimes she'll put it on. Sometimes she'll put it back on me. Sometimes a combination of those. Sometimes she plays with it and then throws it on the floor.

Last time I took pictures of her with my hat on she didn't have it on backward. I've been meaning to get a picture of that since even before those pictures were taken. She is just so darn cute when she has my hat on backward. (She is all the time, but even more so then.)

I contacted my Aunt Carrie a little over a week ago. I wanted to make sure her Amazon wishlist was up to date for Christmas present buying reasons. Her reply was to politely decline having us buy her a Christmas present. She preferred, instead, that we spend a little extra money on an extra present for Sydney. She said she would be more than happy if I made my next blog post my gift to her.

Aunt Carrie takes care of several elderly rescue animals. Most of her income goes to covering the needs of the animals she cares for so she won't be doing much in the way of buying Christmas presents this year.

That is a wonderful thing and I am more than happy to oblige by making this post for my Aunt Carrie. And all her animals.

Griffin On The Couch

That's one of her animals, Griffin.

Sydney turned 20 months old last week. Anne and I both concur that we now have a two year old on our hands.

Sydney likes to tell us "no" a lot. Not in a bad way, but in a two year old way. If she doesn't want something done she let's us know. Anne used to be able to sing around the house. But now more often than not Sydney let's her know that it is not okay. "No, no, no, no, no."

On Sunday we were washing the quilt we have spread on her bedroom floor to put her on to change her. It was still in the dryer when I took her to bed so I had to grab another blanket to put on the floor. She let me know she didn't like that. "No, no, no, no, no," she said as she came over and tried to grab it out of my hand.

It's not always "no," though. Sometimes she says "yes" (or "kay") just to be contrary. Or sometimes just to answer even if she's not really sure what we're asking.

She still doesn't talk a whole lot. I think she's a little embarrassed about talking. Sometimes she come out with a word and say it a couple times, but will then clam up and not say it again. One day when I was changing her diaper she grabbed her foot. "Toes." I gave her a smile and affirmative and repeated it. She said it again and we repeated it back and forth several times. I'm not sure she's said it since even though we've tried to get her to.

She knows a lot of her body parts but doesn't seem to want to say them.

She is pretty open about animal sounds, though. She knows what a cat, dog, cow and pig say. There might be one or two others that escape me at the moment. And though she will generally say them if we ask her (at least right now - that may be a different matter by tomorrow) she will act embarrassed by putting her hand to her mouth and shying her head to the side.

Sydney's walking is progressing. She will frequently walk around now. I think moving around on her knees is still more natural to her. Sometimes if we're going somewhere (like from the living room to go upstairs) and she's on her knees I'll ask her if she will walk. Usually she'll stop and get to her feet.

She still likes to dance by bouncing around on her knees. She has tried once or twice on her feet, though. That dancing is more a step-and-shuffle to the side and she goes around in a circle (about two feet in diameter).

Sydney knows who Elmo is and loves him. Every time she's him in some form in a store or while we're out she'll point and squeal. She has a little miniature Elmo doll I bought in the airport on our way home from Michigan. He is usually taken in the car. She also has an Elmo cell phone my buddy Vic and his wife Kim bought for her when they met her in Michigan.

So I am happy to report that Sydney will be getting a Tickle Me Elmo this year for Christmas. Laura, a wonderful lady I work with (she's the one who gave us the giant teddy bear), happened to find a TMX (Tickle Me 10 - this is the tenth year of the toy) Elmo at Wal-Mart early one morning while shopping and picked it up for me. That was about a month ago. And, strangely enough, as hard as TMX Elmo is to find, last week Sydney and I went shopping at Target. I just randomly went down the toy aisles (no real reason because we've had Sydney's shopping done for some time) and there were SEVEN! Elmos sitting on the shelf. I grabbed two for ladies I work with who wanted them for their grandkids.

Anyway, TMX Elmo is very interesting. I'm guessing Sydney will like him very much. At least until he starts actually laughing and falling over. At that point all bets are off. But I will have the video camera rolling either way.

I'm now going to close out this post by letting Sydney send her love to Aunt Carrie.

Sydney Loves Aunt Carrie

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm speechless! What a lovely post! I certainly never expected top billing!

Griffin loves having his picture posted -- he wants everyone to know that he's available for autographs...(pawtographs!).

Thank you, John!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

What a nice post. Great pictures, as always, of Sydney and fun to see Griffin.

I got a note from Amazon that Sydney's main present is going to be late. It's scheduled to arrive the week after Christmas.

That's pretty annoying since I ordered several weeks ago and the website said they had it in stock. But it should show up eventually and who knows, it may even make it in time.

Meanwhile, there are some little things that should be there any day so she won't think I forgot her. Could never happen.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great post, definately gift worthy! Love the pics too!

Em's "no" has morphed into 'NOOOO WAAAAY" which is actually pretty funny when she's got a death grip on her third sucker and won't give it up.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the elmo phase well.
When Kimmy was around Sydney's age we got her one for her birthday when they first came out. Then at X-mas there were none to be found. It's hard to believe it's still so hard to find at the holidays.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home