Sunday, August 13, 2006

New Levels

Saturday morning Anne got up with Sydney. They went down and had breakfast while I snoozed a little longer.

After breakfast Sydney was at the bottom of the stairs. She will sit there and stare up if she wants to go up. She will sometimes try to climb up but has never gotten past putting a knee up on the first step.

That morning Anne came up behind her and asked, "Do you want to go up and get Daddy?"

Sydney nodded and said, "yes."

Then Sydney started climbing the stairs. Without help. Without support. She just went.

I guess she decided she was just ready and went for it. She's been climbing them since.

(By the way, if anyone has any good advice for teaching a baby how to go down stairs please let me know.)

Last weekend (the first weekend in August) was Art on the Green/Taste of Coeur d'Alene/Coeur d'Alene Street Fair. It's actually three separate things, but they're all together.

The Street Fair is on Sherman Avenue (the main downtown street). It is vendors and booths (no rides). It's mostly businesses, though a few crafts and some food. There's a lot to look at.

A couple blocks away, Taste of Coeur d'Alene is in the city park. There are some more booths of crafts and such there, but mainly the food is there. My favorite Italian sausage is sold there every year. That's why we go there every year.

This year Anne bought some noodles to share with Sydney.

Sydney and Mommy Eat Noodles

It also gave a good opportunity to take a picture of Sydney drinking with a straw.

Sydney Drinks With A Straw

She's pretty good at it, though she doesn't get a lot of chance to practice. And shortly after that picture was taken Sydney blew bubbles with a straw for the first time.

We didn't go to Art on the Green this year. It's about a half-mile walk to North Idaho College where it is. And most of the art in the booths there isn't of interest to us. Though we do like the giant sandcastle they have built every year.

Sydney likes to play at the piano. She'll pull the key cover off, stand at the bench, lean over it and bang on the keys. If she's really lucky Mommy will turn it on for her so her banging actually produces noise. And if she's even luckier Mommy will put her up on the bench so she can poke at buttons and bang on the keys.

Such was the case on Sunday.

Sydney At The Piano

She sat there happy and content for several minutes banging and poking. She would have sat there longer if we hadn't pulled her away from it. If she's that dedicated when/if we make her start taking piano lessons we'll be lucky.

Sydney likes to sort laundry. Actually, she likes to pull clothes out of baskets (clean or dirty) and play with them. This afternoon I had clean work socks strewn across the floor and sofa.

Several months back when she was "sorting" some clean towels she grabbed a washcloth. It's white with pink Baby Snoopy all over it. This washcloth has stayed in her downstairs toy collection ever since.

Sydney knows that I will put it on her head so she can grab it off. She also knows that I will put it on my own head for her amusement. And she thinks it is quite funny.

She will crawl up to me with it in her hand and put it in my lap. If I don't do anything with it she will snatch it back. She then plays with it for a few seconds and then gives it back to me. She takes it back again if I don't do anything with it.

A couple weeks ago she had snatched it back three times. The fourth time she gave it to me I put it on her head. She snatched it off her head and plopped it in my lap. I put it on my head. She laughed and started to crawl away.

Figuring the game was over I took it off my head. When she turned around and saw that she crawled back over to me. She grabbed the washcloth and then handed it back to me. I put it on my head and left it there.

Sydney laughed and started to crawl away. Before she got to the end of the sofa she had turned to look at me at least twice. The washcloth was still on my head. She then crawled around the end of the sofa and played with some other toys. Every few seconds she would peak around the end of the sofa and laugh.

I'm not sure how long I sat there with a washcloth on my head being the source of my daughter's amusement, but I know I finished reading my magazine before it was over.

Sydney Has A Washcloth On Her Head

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable Sydney comes from a long, long line of good musicians. I would guess that her aptitude for music is probably high.

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must disagree with Aunt Carrie. Sydney comes from a long long line of GREAT musicians!

Also, no worries about going down the stairs. Gravity will take care of that one.

Love,
Your Mad Scientist, Piano Playing, Choir Singing, Clearly Childless, Sis In-Law

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sydney just gets more and more adorable every time I check out your blog.

She will figure out downstairs soon I'm sure. Kimmy used to sit at the top of the stairs and then just scoot down each stair on her rear.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in October.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent a whole afternoon teaching N how to go down. The house we lived in at the time had uncarpeted steps and the gravity option was too scary to first time mommy me. First big thing was to get him to realize that while at the top he was going to have to turn around and go down backwards. Once he got that down, I began to place his knees and his hands in position for him. Eventually, he came to know what to expect and I'd have to do less for him each time. He got so skilled at it, it became less of a climb down, and more of a controlled belly slide.

Alex always insisted on going headfirst. Gravity didn't teach him much, he never got it. I just used the gates a lot and watched him like a hawk. (And he's the smart one!)

Emme figured it out by herself with only a little instruction from me on the going backwards part.
The butt scooching move has come much later with my kids. It's worth a try though; with her long legs, that might be easier.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home