Sunday, March 30, 2008

Grandma B Is Coming!

Hah! You thought that my last post would have the last of vacation stuff, didn't you? I fooled you with the "Vacation Wrap Up" in the title.

Apparently that was all a lie. But I think this little bit will be the last of it.

There are two pieces of art that we got on vacation that are now hanging up in Sydney's room. Both of them were bought at LEGOLAND, but, surprising, have nothing to do with LEGO. (They're both something that can be readily found and purchased in any amusement park.)

Sydneys Name Art

That is a scroll of Sydney's name painted in plants and animals. From left to right there are a koala bear, monkeys, a kangaroo, a giraffe, a kitten and panda bears. Anne went out and got the frame today and, since it's kind of a custom-sized picture, she got the colored paper to put behind it as matting. I think it turned out great.

She also picked up a frame for the caricature we had done of all of us together. I'll let it speak for itself.

Family Caricature

One of Sydney's favorite lullabies is Rubber Duckie. I'm not sure how that became a bedtime song, but it is. We only sing one (slightly modified) verse to her, though.

Rubber duckie you're the one.
Quack quack
You make bath time lots of fun.
Quack quack
Rubber duckie you're the one for me.
Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack


The other day Sydney was singing it so, of course, I had to video it.



The duck she's holding in the video is not a rubber duckie. It's a plastic duckie and you push the purple thing down and it will go across a flat, hard surface.

Our weather has been strange over the past couple weeks. It has almost constantly been above freezing during the day, but that hasn't stopped it from snowing. It usually doesn't stick, though, except at night when it's below freezing. Or, when it does stick during the day, it's not sticking on the roads and is usually gone within a couple hours of it stopping.

Friday night we got a good four or five inches of snow over night. It stuck around for a while, even though the streets were the first to melt and be gone. We did go out and shovel the driveways. After that I had to cut up some boards to fix the support in Sydney's bed. While I was doing that Sydney and Mommy made a snowman.

Sydney And Her Snowman

I should note that those are Mega Blocks on the snowman and not LEGO blocks. Jackie gave them to us in a little wagon when her boys outgrew them. But since nothing but LEGO is allowed in the house the Mega Blocks have been in the garage and designated as an outside toy.

As of this afternoon almost all the snow is melted. The poor snowman has lost almost all of his features and his head is tilted sideways and about to fall off.

This afternoon I was watching more basketball. Sydney curled up beside me and Anne decided she should get a picture.

Sydney And Daddy Watch Basketball

While we were watching basketball Sydney decided she wanted my hat. Then she decided she wanted her own hat and went and grabbed a plastic pail and put it on her head. She had a little plastic spatula from her kitchen set she held and pumped her arm and went, "Arr!" because she was a pirate.

By the time I grabbed the phone to record it she had decided she was a chicken whenever she had the pail on her head. So here you go. Sydney the Pirate Chicken!



Last but not least we come to the title of the post. Grandma B is coming for a visit. She'll be here on Wednesday and will be here for a week for Sydney's birthday (Saturday).

Sydney is very excited about Grandma B coming. When Mommy mentioned that we had to clean this morning in anticipation of her visit Sydney was all for helping. (I should note that Sydney is usually all for helping with cleaning or whatever we're doing. She was just extra exuberant today.)

She kept telling us that we had to clean "Grandma's house" for her because she was coming. Here's a picture of Sydney helping dust "Grandma's house" (our guest room).

Sydney Dusts Grandmas House

Finally, I have been tagged with a meme by MadCarlotta. It is "What's on my nightstand".

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more.

Right. I'm in the office which is pretty much our default library. Since there are so many books in here and they are all close I was sorely tempted to just go into the bedroom and grab the book off my nightstand that I am currently reading. (His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman)

But then I happened to glance to my immediate left and look on top of the old television we have sitting here to see Legends of the Mountain State sitting right here. You might recall me mentioning it before. It's the anthology Anne's sister Marta wrote a story for. Her first published story.

For some reason Anne and I have yet to read the book (I did actually read a couple pages of Marta's story while I was waiting for something to download). Probably because all the copies we bought are sitting here in the office waiting for us to ship them off to Marta to have her sign them.

Anyway, that's the closest book so I'm going with that.

2. Open the book to page 123 and find the 3rd sentence.

You're not going to believe this. Page 123 happens to be the fifth page of Marta's story. Really! I'm not making it up. I'm not fudging the least bit.

Right. Found it. That wasn't hard. But since everyone else has actually typed out the third sentence I guess I should do that, too. I'll count the third full sentence since the first sentence is continued from the previous page.

"Don't know," the tramp whispered.


3. Post the next 5 sentences.

"Ghost ate me. There's a fire in the furnace you know."

"I'll get some food. Sit tight," Joe said. He shuffled to the lockers and retrieved his lunch pail.


4. Tag 5 people.

Nope. Won't do it. If you feel like doing this meme feel free. (I half expect my mother and grandmother to do it since they're big readers. And at the same time I half expect them not to.)

4 Comments:

Blogger NEO said...

Your daughter looks so happy. All my kids do is whine all the time.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Mouse said...

That caricature looks pretty accurate (well, the version of you, anyway). ;-)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Looking forward to seeing everyone - but NO SNOW please. I've seen and shoveled enough for this year.

7:46 PM  
Blogger oppiejoe said...

neato

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home