Monday, August 20, 2007

Not Working

A week ago this past Saturday we all went out to get the mail. Normally after getting the mail we walk down the block and back. This Saturday was no different except that a little way past the mailbox Sydney tripped. She fell on the sidewalk and skinned her knee.

Crying ensued and we went immediately back to the house. Mommy took her upstairs and proceeded to clean the knee. Once that was done Lanacane spray was applied.

Sydney likes Lanacane and will ask for "spray" when she gets hurt. It helps take the hurt away. This time was no exception and Sydney pronounced herself better and ready to go back outside to continue playing.

After we had been outside for a while Sydney dropped something she was playing with and it fell/rolled under her little chair. She got down to get it back. She got down on her scraped up knee.

Crying ensued again and we tried to figure out what had happened. When asked if she hurt her knee again Sydney nodded and cried, "spray, spray".

Mommy asked if she could kiss Sydney's knee and make it better. "It will be just as good as spray." Sydney nodded and said okay.

Mommy lifted her up into her lap and raised the knee so she could kiss it. No sooner had Mommy kissed the knee than Sydney started crying a little louder with, "not working. Not working".

It was back upstairs again for a cleaning and spray. Anne and I got good chuckles out of that. I still smile and laugh to myself when I think about it.

One night after dinner I was in the kitchen cleaning up. Anne was sitting out with Sydney while she finished up. When Anne had given her a cookie for dessert Sydney apparently decided that a picture was in order.

"Take uh pikka wif da camra," she told Mommy.

"You want me to take a picture with the camera?" Anne confirmed. Sydney told her yes and repeated the request.

I heard it and ran upstairs to get the camera.

Sydney Wants A Picture

Sydney has moved on to a new level with picture taking. She will still pose and ham it up for the camera, but as soon as the picture is taken she wants to see it. She'll run over and turn the camera so she can see the LCD screen on the back.

Sydney also says, "I lug you, [Daddy]." This is usually only done when prompted. (Like when Mommy asks her if she told me she loves me as I'm leaving for work.) Sometimes she will say it in response if we tell her we love her, but not usually.

She will regularly say, "pease," "tank you," and "you welcome" without prompting. The "pease" comes especially easy when she wants a cookie after lunch or dinner. And it comes constantly until she gets her cookie (or we tell her no). She really wants us to know how polite she is!

Sydney can count fairly well. Usually it is in small doses. "One, two three, peekaboo!" Or, "eight, nine, ten, go!" when playing a game. She can count up to twelve or so. I've had her get up to eighteen before, but she skipped a couple numbers (but added them in with some prompting). She regularly skips four and five. Sometimes she'll skip eight or nine, but not usually.

But that is mainly just repeating numbers. I haven't really seen her use them for counting. Until this morning, that is.

After breakfast we went upstairs to get dressed. Sydney started to climb the stairs and counted each one as she stepped up. She paused at counting four, but I prompted her. She got it and quickly went on to five. She skipped nine and counted ten. When I corrected her she repeated "nine" and then went to ten.

The top step is fourteen. I'm not sure what she said, but it mostly sounded like she said "eighteen". I corrected her and she said whatever it was that sounded like "eighteen" again. I'm guessing maybe that was her fourteen, but I'm not sure.

This past Saturday we went to a wedding of a friend of mine. It was a gorgeous day, which was good since the wedding was outside.

Sydney And Mommy

They actually had some young ladies in the house baby-sitting for all the children there. We weren't sure how Sydney was going to handle it, but she did fine. She stayed up there and played and ate. A little later I went in to use the bathroom. When she saw me she apparently realized that we weren't there with her and she wouldn't let me leave without her. So she came down and joined us outside. Then she and Mommy got up to dance.

Sydney And Mommy Dance

5 Comments:

Blogger MadCarlotta said...

Too cute!!

Trinity always skipped 8 and/or 9 while counting too, although she has gotten better about that as of late. Once she gets past 12 though, anything goes :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Mouse said...

A lot of the kids I work with miss out numbers in the teens when counting too.
Looks like Sydney had fun at the wedding. :)

4:08 PM  
Blogger oppiejoe said...

thanks for the update Tah...

I've had similar experiences with the hurt knee story...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Magic spray you say? It seems I need to investigate, my niece is a real accident prone!

And I'm glad Sydney has lovely manners, it's a shame more people don't use them these days.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Transfrmr said...

Hehe, lanacane IS magic ;) I have an adult version for sunburns called Hawaiian Tropic Ice, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Sounds like she's at a wonderful age Tah :)

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home