Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Down And Out

We got up Tuesday and found the power out in the office and guest room. The breaker was popped and I reset it. Unfortunately, it looks like whatever did it fried our computer. There is absolutely no power.

I have a feeling (completely unsubstantiated since I know little about computers workings) that the computer died and in its death throes it surged, causing the breaker to pop. I say this because we found no other evidence anywhere of any outage or electrical problem. Plus I have a pretty good surge protector that all the other equipment is plugged into, too. Nothing else is damaged.

Anyway, when I bought the computer in October of 2005 I had some upgrades done to it. Because of that I did buy the extended warranty. So I called and the diagnosis over the phone is that the motherboard and power source are fried. They are sending a new one of each to me and that will take 5-7 business days. Then, on Friday the 13th, they have a tech scheduled to come out and fix it.

So that's at least a week and a half without a home computer. And without uploading pictures and without access to home email. And a bunch of other stuff.

And then we'll hope that those two items are the extent of the problem and nothing else is fried or data lost.

Speaking of home email, Adelphia was bought out by Time Warner Cable last year. They have finally gotten around to switching us over with our internet service. So anyone who has our home email, please change your address books. The email that ends with @adelphia.net will now end with @roadrunner.com. We will still be able to receive emails on the adelphia address, but not forever.

And, since our computer is down for close to two weeks, please make sure you have my @gmail.com address. The first part of that it tahofwhitefisher. If you have to email us before our computer is back up and running please email me at the gmail account. I can check that at work.

Thanks and cross your fingers for a (relatively) quick and painless fix for the computer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nettie said...

I'm lucky in that my hubby is a computer nerd and so if I ever have any problems, I never have to wait for warranty parts or techs to arrive.
Hope it all goes well, regardless of the Friday the 13th repair date!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home